1. What's the first piece of music you listened to today?
Cleoma Breaux – “Prenez Courage.” Pretty intense
for morning listening but she has such an incredible vocal style.
I like to start practicing first thing by testing myself!
2. What are your vices?
Smoking. And seeing selfishness in myself.
3. What is one of your prejudices?
I know I have one against posh people.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change
the way people live their lives?
It captures moments in feeling and seeing that not many other things
can often quite do. When you grasp that from something it changes
your possibilities of living.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
Probably when I was bullied at school the first time. Age 5 I think.
6. Do you think that your name is appropriate for you?
(If not, what name would be more appropriate?)
I used to hate my surname. It was always at the end of the register
and so I was normally last at everything. Then I grew to like it.
I always thought my first name suited me fine though, especially
when I became a Kinks fan.
7. What is the best piece of music you've ever created,
in your opinion?
Probably some of the recordings of a cappella blues and gospel covers
I've been working on the last few years. They stretch my vocal abilities
beyond belief, and the songs inspire me because of their historical
8. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
Find a new job, make more things, draw more.
9. If you had the time, what else would you do?
More music projects with friends, read more, write more letters.
10. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about
(negative or positive)?
Feminist and queer activism and theories.
11. What are your fears?
Wasting time, inability, losing friends.
12. What is your favorite joke (tasteful or tasteless)?
This guy keeps a pet caterpillar. He keeps asking it to come hang
out with him, go to the cinema, go to a restaurant, go bowling,
and the caterpillar does nothing. The man gets gradually more and
more upset by this. Eventually he says to the caterpillar, “I
just don’t get it. I thought you were my friend. I’m
always asking you to go places and you never wanna come.”
The man then hears a small noise and lifts the caterpillar to his
ear. The caterpillar is shouting, “I know, I know! I heard
you the first time. I’m just putting my shoes on!”
I love that joke.
13. Who is your favorite author?
Right now, Flannery O'Connor.
14. What is your favorite movie?
I like Trust, by Hal Hartley. Also Dogfight with
Lili Taylor and River Phoenix. And Badlands.
15. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
I really like the recordings most recently made by Jack Lewis, who
plays in the Jeffrey Lewis band and is brother to the also great
Jeff. He burns CD-R copies of compilations of them. I’m not
sure if there's an album proper coming out yet.
16. What would you like to know more about?
Psychoanalytic theory I haven’t already covered.
17. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish
before you die?
Write an academic book.
Image Courtesy Tag Team Media