"IT defies demographic niches, and proves that you can do serious reading on a screen." - Seven Days
Identity Theory is an online literary magazine and cultural hub that has been publishing original writing, interviews, and other forms of creative expression since July 2000.
Within our web-based magazine's thousands of pages, you will find:
Over 200 author interviews featuring notable writers like Howard Zinn, Jonathan Safran Foer, Chip Kidd, Azar Nafisi, Ethan Hawke, Donna Tartt, and Sarah Vowell.
Music interviews with indie and mainstream bands from Animal Collective and Ariel Pink to the Gin Blossoms to Midnight Oil to Sleater-Kinney—as well as album reviews and other music features.
Short, innovative fiction, including "We Are The Pretty" by Ryan Rickrode, "A Bird in the House" by Ben Black, and "Jack & Emily Texas Roadside Incident, Summer 2012" by David Rice.
Creative nonfiction about everything from race relations to warblers to whales to the erotic art of dying.
Film interviews with actors and directors like John Cusack and Doug Pray, as well as a film news and reviews blog.
Visual art and interviews including boxing images, New Yorker cartoonists, and photos of Guatemala and Cuba.
Book coverage, including a literary blog and formal reviews.
A social justice section containing politically conscious material and a blog.
Poetry from all over the world, as well as interviews with poets such as Donald Hall and Major Jackson.
How can I get involved with Identity Theory?
Want to become an editor, review books, interview interesting folks, maybe have your own blog on our site? Email firstname.lastname@example.org (Matt Borondy) with those queries.
Where can I send a review copy of my book/album/film?
We welcome digital review copies as well as hard copies. Email Matt Borondy at email@example.com for more information on where you can send galleys and completed books.
Is Identity Theory on social media?
You can find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. We also send a weekly email newsletter.
Contact a staff member by clicking their name:
- Matt Borondy, Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
- Robert Birnbaum, Editor-at-Large
- Carole Burkett, Prose Editor
- Sophie Newman, Prose Editor
- Katie Burgess, Prose Editor
- Sara Sams, Poetry Editor
- Justin Aoba, Associate Poetry Editor
- Lisa Cantwell, Associate Poetry Editor
- Elia Karra, Associate Poetry Editor
- Vic Nogay, Associate Poetry Editor
- Tianyu Yi, Associate Poetry Editor
- James Warner, Fiction Editor
- Sarah Weissman, Fiction Editor
- Jamie Guiney, Fiction Editor
- Carlos Tkacz, Fiction Editor
- Katy Goforth, Fiction Editor
- Matthew Tiffany, Book Reviews Editor
- Elizabeth Conard, Copy Editor
- Mia Arias Tsang, Copy Editor
- Giano Cromley, Assistant Editor
- Olivia Cailliarec, Assistant Editor
- Costa B. Pappas, Assistant Editor
- Dayna Copeland, Assistant Editor
- Eliza Davis, Overnight Editor