Identity Theory’s creative nonfiction section is devoted to creative writing that is as thoughtful as it is vivid. We publish experimental and traditional nonfiction including flash, memoir, hybrids, narrative nonfiction, personal essays, and lyric essays. Take us someplace we haven’t been before, show us something that is not as it seems, guide us with an intelligent heart.
While we do not offer traditional compensation to authors for accepted pieces, we put our value to you by carefully reading every nonfiction submission, replying with constructive comments when desired, and publishing your work in our established literary publication viewed by thousands of readers weekly.
How to Submit Your Essay
When you submit your creative nonfiction piece for consideration, please:
1. Write “Essay Submission:” and the title of your piece in the subject line of your email.
2. Let us know if the piece has been published elsewhere, including online.
3. Bear in mind length should suit the medium. (We rarely publish pieces longer than 4000 words. We welcome flash CNF and hybrid pieces beginning at 250 words.)
4. Include a short author biography (50–100 words), including publishing credits.
5. Paste your submission into the body of an e-mail and as a .docx attachment if possible.
We are eager to read your work!
Bonus: Enter Our 2022 Essay Contest
If your nonfiction piece is approximately 2000 words, consider entering it into our 2022-word writing contest.