Listen to tracks from Spires That in the Sunset Rise's new album, Four Winds The Walker.
1. What's the first piece of music you listened to today?
Today I listened to my band first since we are mixing and recording our new album.
2. What are your vices?
Oh god, caffeine and alcoholic addictions mostly.
3. What is one of your prejudices?
Skipping down the street will cheer your up.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change the way people live their lives?
It alters the waves in the brain, and all waves after that, like a domino affect, it changes everyone differently.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
Age 6 - when my babysitter's brothers were snorting white stuff on my parents' kitchen table.
6. Do you think that your name is appropriate for you?
(If not, what name would be more appropriate?)
I do think the band name has worked, because I don't completely understand it and that is how I feel about our music.
7. What is the best piece of music you've ever created, in your opinion?
"Sea Shanty," which is a largely improvisational piece, though it is quite not so at the same time. It will be released on our new album due out in the fall.
8. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
Good question, I am working on my explosive anger that surprises even me.
9. If you had the time, what else would you do?
I would paint, do yoga, sleep more, travel, read more, and play more music, maybe take up karate, sail around the world.
10. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about (negative or positive)?
Interestingly, I find myself extremely passionate about childbirth and the grotesque way this country has taken the power from women and turned it into a sickness ruled by the health system...which is mostly the male ideal and gives women little choice and a feeling of powerlessness...childbirth has been stripped of its rite of passage!
11. What are your fears?
I wake in the night fearing the void, and also serial killers and all sorts of pain inflicted upon people through the ages, I may reincarnate and have to experience this or who knows what will happen tomorrow...so mostly pain and powerlessness.
12. What is your favorite joke (tasteful or tasteless)?
13. Who is your favorite author?
Virginia Woolf, Henry Miller
14. What is your favorite movie?
Time of the Gypsies by Emir Kursturica
15. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
Espers - Flowery Noontide
Gang Gang Dance - God's Money
Warsaw Village Band - both People's Spring and Uprooting
Haco + Sakamoto Hiromichi - Ash in the Rainbow
P.G. Six - Parlor Tricks and Porch Favorites
16. What would you like to know more about?
Physics, other cultures (by traveling), and classical cello.
17. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish before you die?