1. What's the first piece of music you listened to today?
Today I was working on something. I've been listening very carefully
but with a different ear than on those days when I wake up and listen
to finished music.
2. What are your vices?
I think vices matter if you're in a relationship, but if you're
single, they're more like virtues.
3. What is one of your prejudices?
People who don't read air. They're like businessmen who want to
talk about nothing when they're in a situation where something interesting
is going on.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change
the way people live their lives?
In the same way that religions do. It's the closest thing to a religion
for many people I know. With music you get less guilt and violence.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
I felt distrust before feeling trust as a child. First distrust
in everything and then trust starting with my parents.
6. Do you think that your name is appropriate for you?
(If not, what name would be more appropriate?)
7. What is the best piece of music you've ever created,
in your opinion?
I’m very focused on the songs I've made in the past few months.
"1929/TV Ocean" from the album Eternity Spans
might be my favorite "piece" I have released so far. I
haven't made a masterpiece.
8. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
I'm trying to not be wasteful and to act on the impulse to create
and produce more. I also want to destroy some habits that are redundant.
9. If you had the time, what else would you do?
I'd create a new technology that replaces CDs, I'd like to design
public works of art in new cities, and always travel.
10. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about
(negative or positive)?
I'm not sure if this is a cause, but I'm very unhappy with the way
money is managed and distributed throughout the world.
11. What are your fears?
Most of my fears are financial; there might be other ones, but they
don't affect me as much.
12. What is your favorite joke (tasteful or tasteless)?
So many times so many things I thought were so serious were just
13. Who is your favorite author?
I don't think I have a favorite anything. Some authors I like are:
Yukio Mishima, Friedrich Neitzsche, Franz Kafka, Michael Bulgakov.
14. What is your favorite movie?
Some of my favorite directors are: Nicholas Roeg, Robert Altman,
Kurasawa, Werner Herzog. Some of my favorite films are: The
Warriors, Rockers, Harold and Maude, Princess Bride, The Dark Crystal.
15. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
For the first time ever my favorite albums are very new ones that
haven't even come out yet. Noah and I recently finished mixing the
next Panda Bear record which is probably my favorite album he's
ever done or been involved with. I also recently produced this Japanese
band called Vampillia and really love their record which is called
Pop Album and that has yet to be released.
16. What would you like to know more about?
I'd like to learn about another person. Some kind of new intimacy
different than any other I've experienced.
17. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish
before you die?
Visit Rusty Santos at www.myspace.com/rustysantos.