1. What's the first piece of music you listened to today?
"Ridin' Dirty," well at least in my head
2. What are your vices?
Pipes, pancakes, and popcorn
3. What is one of your prejudices?
I prejudge little f'n plastic bottles of water.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change the way people live their lives?
I don't know if "music" really does change lives, but people getting together does.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
I don't know.
6. Do you think that your name is appropriate for you? (If not, what name would be more appropriate?)
7. What is the best piece of music you've ever created, in your opinion?
I don't have much of an opinion on the music I make. I am more of a catch-and-release type creator. I guess I like the ones best that I'm hands off of. I'm approaching a new paradigm of music personally that I'm doing less and less and I like this more and more.
8. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
By staying the same
9. If you had the time, what else would you do?
Finish my pirate puppet show and the dialogue to this film I want to shoot.
10. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about (negative or positive)?
Lately I'm feeling a lot of anger about litter and cigarette butts tossed after people smoke. There must be a gazillion butts outside of the nonsmoking venues here in Portland alone. Maybe there's some food value in them though or something.
11. What are your fears?
12. What is your favorite joke (tasteful or tasteless)?
I like the "what did the 0 say to the 8?"
13. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
Reiko Kudo's "Rice Fields Silently Riping in the Night" (it really is "riping")
14. What would you like to know more about?
Biodiesel--my brothers are starting a co-op in the Skagit Valley where we live.
17. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish before you die?
I want to travel around Brazil with a microphone, but I want to do that soon--so no dying afterwards.
More from Karl Blau
Visit Karl Blau at kelpmonthly.com.