1. What's the first piece of music you listened to today?
I start playing music first thing in the morning, so I listened to a sample I sampled of Ben Kingsley yelling in the movie Sexy Beast. If that doesn’t count, then a Julius Hemphill piece linked to Sasha Frere Jones’ blog.
2. What are your vices?
Coffee and cheese.
3. What is one of your prejudices?
Kittens are evil.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change
the way people live their lives?
I don’t necessarily think it does; I think art has more of a transcendent or drug-like effect.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
I guess I’ve been in denial since I was born.
6. Do you think that your name is appropriate for you?
(If not, what name would be more appropriate?)
In the third grade I wanted to change my name to Clyde.
7. What is the best piece of music you've ever created,
in your opinion?
"White Lexus" off Haughty Melodic.
8. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
Trying to give up dairy products, get in the sunshine more.
9. If you had the time, what else would you do?
Go to the movies.
10. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about
(negative or positive)?
Other than the war, I’d like to get weed recognized as a drug that people can become seriously addicted to and wreck their lives with. I don’t judge drugs—I stopped doing ’em, but I love ’em. But this nonsense that weed is some kind of light non-drug is pure fiction; a major problem in our society. Whether or not people should choose to stop, they ought to face facts. No judgments, but they ought to know what’s what.
11. What are your fears?
Relapsing, doing drugs again. Losing friends. Falling in love and being left.
12. What is your favorite joke (tasteful or tasteless)?
Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi. Just look at the guy.
13. Who is your favorite author?
Haruki Murakami. Japanese hipsters loathe him, so I feel embarrassed saying that.
14. What is your favorite movie?
All About Eve. Best stinging one-liners in the history of film.
15. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
I don’t really like albums. I like songs. I think the only really good album is Led Zeppelin 4. And then only side A. Every year, they publish all these Top 10 albums lists, and I feel they’re full of albums nobody listened to, just the singles; for instance, the N.E.R.D. album was all over the lists the year it came out, and that was only because all the Neptunes productions were so fantastic! Nobody listened to that record.
16. What would you like to know more about?
I’m learning German, and I’d like to speak Amharic (the predominant Ethiopian language).
17. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish
before you die?
My recent obsession is languages: Japanese, Spanish, Khmer, Burmese; I want to speak them all.
Image Courtesy Aaron Farrington