1. What’s the first piece of music you listened to today?
Amadou & Miriam’s Wati record.
2. What are your vices?
The usual – booze, etc. And, sadly, the power of raging anger. (I’ve inherited the passionate temper of my Irish and Sicilian grandparents.)
3. What is one of your prejudices?
West-coast crosswalkers and the liberal as the new conservative.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change
the way people live their lives?
Yeah I’ve been living out of a bag for the last three months, on tour for most of this year with Sunburned, Howlin Rain and Six Organs. Love it, music has made me want to leave my home of 34 years and travel, I get a lot of satisfaction out of meeting new people.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
When I was about 10 and my parents split up.
6. What is the best piece of music you’ve
ever created, in your opinion?
"Featherweight," track 2 off the Jaybird record, that song is a beast.
7. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
Right now I’m with the Howlin Rain, which is me, Mike, Ian and Ethan Miller from Comets on Fire. It’s a rock band with songs and a set list and I love it, playing the same songs every night and getting an insight on how others do this for a living, I’m learning a lot of things–some that I will apply to how Sunburned operates and some things that I’ve already gone through and can maybe pass on to these guys.
8. If you had the time, what else would you do?
Edit all the video I have into a feature-length film, in Sicily.
9. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about
(negative or positive)?
More wind farms, hybrid cars, trucks, and vans for everyone–shit that makes sense.
10. What are your fears?
11. Who is your favorite author?
12. What is your favorite movie?
Right now, The French Connection I & II
13. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
Comets on Fire – Field recordings/Blue Cathedral
Six Organs – Octavio Paz, Compathia, School of the Flower, the Sun Awakens,
Sonic Youth – Murray St., Sonic Nurse, Townes Van Zandt, Uncle Jim,
Ghostface Killah – fishscale & pretty toney,
Prurient – The Black Vase,
Jack Rose – Kensington Blues
Sir Richard Bishop – Fingering the Devil, Relatively Clean Rivers,
Bonny “Prince” Billy & Matt Sweeny’s Superwolf – Master & Everyone,
Sun City Girls – all of it
NNCK – First Kingdom of the Ghost,
Neil Young, Mick Flower – return to knowing nothing,
Ilk – canticle,
Vibracathedral Orchestra – all of it
bob dylan, scratch acid
14. What would you like to know more about?
Philosophy, computers, and mathematics.
15. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish
before you die?
Have a family.
Image from http://sherihausey.com/sunburned/