1. What’s the first piece of music you listened to today?
The sound of my one-year old son ‘singing’ me awake. 5:15 a.m.
2. What are your vices?
I can’t say that I really believe in ‘vices.’ I do have a ‘weakness’ for food.
3. What is one of your prejudices?
Hmmm… I guess against contemporary classical, academic music. I’m generally convinced that it’s going to sound awful before I ever hear a note.
4. In what way do you think music has the ability to change
the way people live their lives?
In every way. Music is at the core of that which makes us human.
5. At what age did you first feel distrust?
When I finally understood what actually happens when you sign a publishing contract.
6. Do you think that your name is appropriate for you?
(If not, what name would be more appropriate?)
I like my name, and it feels right. But my entire life people have mistakenly called me ‘Chris.’ Isn’t that strange?
7. What is the best piece of music you’ve ever created,
in your opinion?
Oh, god. For me, this answer changes every ten minutes. There are, though, 4 measures of music in my "A Boy and a Girl" that I think are just perfect.
8. Right now, how are you trying to change yourself?
Heh… trying to get more sleep.
9. If you had the time, what else would you do?
I would really study Hebrew (my wife is Israeli). And I would have a garden.
10. What social cause do you feel the most strongly about
(negative or positive)?
Well, I’m a raging liberal, so one can probably infer a pretty accurate list of social causes that I am passionate about. First and foremost, though, I’m a professional artist, and more and more I feel like I should keep my causes to myself and just try to create beautiful things.
11. What are your fears?
That the American people will sleepwalk through the next election and allow those imperial criminals to keep running the… oops, please see #10.
12. What is your favorite joke (tasteful or tasteless)?
An old man comes home from work one day, and his surprised wife says, "What are you doing home so early? It’s not even noon." The man says, "They fired me from the factory, because I put my finger in the pickle slicer." His wife cries, "Oh my god! I hope you’re alright! And what happened to the pickle slicer?" And he says, "Well, they fired her too."
13. Who is your favorite author?
Impossible… the list is a mile long. My desert-island author? Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
14. What is your favorite movie?
Again, there are thousands. But my one desert island movie would be The Godfather. (Can I count I & II as one movie?)
15. Favorite album(s) from the last few years?
Love, love, LOVE the Sufjan Stevens album Illinois. Love the LA Phil doing the "Rite of Spring." Love Bjork’s Vespertine.
16. What would you like to know more about?
17. What is one thing you would like to do/see/accomplish
before you die?
Who said anything about dying? I’m going to live forever!