What is it we wear
when there is nothing left
but rigid names for impossible
I write this to you because I wonder if we can ever overcome what we are: prototypical comfortable liberals with radical pretensions.
We live in the forest because the trees are gone. All of our shade comes from elsewhere, and it cannot stay.
Every night, she waited for Krishna as all milkmaids wait for spiritually blue-skinned men. She met him and waited and met him again.
“Too much of our human existence is based on making money and getting errands done. It’s such a waste of the gift of life, not to celebrate and bring magic and mystery into the everyday.”
Do I miss my half,
my copy, who twinned me & twined
down my spine? Yay & nay. Sometimes.
tablets click into sickly amber plastic like the urine they render so urgent in reverse. click (drop), click (drop), streams of static swishing sound heard on the off-air channels of anything analog.
Love is a choice, a commitment two people make to each other, and with this girl I was beginning to feel like that decision had already been made for me. What had Alternate Future Me been thinking?
My interest in the intersection between art and war developed out of a personal experience, which continued to shape and inform my academic and artistic sensibility.
Imagine there’s no heaven, and hell
is explained to us by the Quran
as the thing muddying our faces.
- The Myth of The Alcoholic Writer and Praying Drunk: Monday’s Margins -- Book Rate
- Top Ten Albums of 2013 -- Music Blog
- “Weightless” by Washed Out: Song of the Month, December 2013 -- Music Blog
- 25 Years After: Die Hard, A Degenerative Retrospective -- Side Shots Film Blog
- “Sea of Love” by The National: Song of the Month, November 2013 -- Music Blog
- David Foster Wallace and the Velveteen Rabbit by James Warner
- Relations by Eula Biss
- Donna Tartt Interview by Robert Birnbaum
- A Hard Truth About Waste Management by Sumanth Prabhaker
- Animal Collective Interview by Ross Simonini
- Five Alternatives to Throwing Your Penis at the Police by Tyler Stoddard Smith
- ZZ Packer Interview by Robert Birnbaum
- Carrie Brownstein Interview by Staff
- Junot Diaz Interview by Matt Okie